SWIMSAFER STAGE 4 BRONZE
Personal Survival & Stroke Improvement Skills
Development of child’s stroke techniques is a focus here, along with coordinated breathing in deep water while swimming 100 metres. Principles of water craft safety will be introduced as well as continual work on rescue and personal survival skills.
SwimSafer Stage 4 Bronze Test Criteria
Entries & Exits
1. Compact jump.
Sculling & Body Orientation
1. Forward somersault in the water.
2. Scull, float or tread for 2 min (incorporated in Survival & Activity Skills).
- In at least 1.4m deep water, perform feet-first surface dive, swim through hoops on pool bottom or 2m.
Movement / Swimming / Strokes
Swim 100m continuously:
- 25m Front Crawl.
- 25m Backstroke.
- 25m Breaststroke.
- 25m Survival Backstroke.
Survival & Activity Skills
- Scull, float or tread water for 2 min.
Dressed in swimwear, shorts and t-shirt demonstrate:
- 3 min swimming slowly using survival backstroke, sidestroke and survival breaststroke, changing every 15m.
- Wave and call for help Retrieve a flotation aid thrown by a ‘rescuer’ (2m away) and kick to the side of the pool and exit.
- Throw a flotation aid to a partner 2m away and instruct the partner to kick to the edge.
- Principles of Personal Safety and Survival.
- Environmental Awareness.
- Health Awareness.
- Emergency Situations and Survival Techniques.