SwimSafer Stage 4 Bronze
Introduction to Water Skills
The objective is develop confidence and independence in the water, learn general and deep-end water safety. Techniques taught include the forward and backward movement, safe entry and exit and personal water safety.
SwimSafer Stage 4 Bronze Test Criteria
Entries & Exits
Sculling & Body Orientation
- Forward somersault in the water.
- Scull, float or tread for 2 min
In at least 1.4m deep water, perform feet-first surface dive, swim through hoops on pool bottom or 2m.
Movement / Swimming / Strokes
Swim 100m continuously:
- 25m Front Crawl.
- 25m Backstroke.
- 25m Breaststroke.
- 25m Survival Backstroke.
Survival & Activity Skills
Scull, float or tread water for 2 min.
Dressed in swimwear, shorts and t-shirt demonstrate:
- 3 min swimming slowly using survival backstroke, sidestroke and survival breaststroke, changing every 15m.
- Wave and call for help Retrieve a flotation aid thrown by a ‘rescuer’ (2m away) and kick to the side of the pool and exit.
Throw a flotation aid to a partner 2m away and instruct the partner to kick to the edge.
- Principles of Personal Safety and Survival.
- Environmental Awareness.
- Health Awareness.
- Emergency Situations and Survival Techniques.